For the cake:
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 cups nectarines (large dice)
- 1 cup mixed berries (we used blueberries & raspberries)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup hickory nuts (pecans are a great substitute if you can't source hickory nuts!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 4 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch round cake pan or cast iron pan, and melt over low heat. Sprinkle brown sugar & evenly over butter and add the molasses..
- Arrange fruit in an even layer in pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 6 tablespoons butter on high until light and fluffy. Add granulated sugar and beat until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions yogurt, and beat to combine.
- With a spatula, spread batter over nectarines. Bake until cake is dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour 10 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack, 15 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan and invert cake onto a serving plate. Garnish with the hickory nuts & serve warm. We also buried this beauty in piles of vanilla ice cream!