2 cups ground cornmeal (we used Roy’s Calais variety)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 ¼ cup milk
3 Tbsp honey
2 large eggs
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled
1 Tbsp bacon fat or butter for the pan
1. Heat the oven to 400. Place a medium cast iron pan in oven while you get the mix together.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda & salt
3. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, buttermilk, melted butter & honey together.
4. Mix the ingredients by adding the dry to the wet and stir to combine. (please note, if you are using for stuffing, whisk it for about 30 seconds to create a little gluten structure. This will hold up better in the stuffing mix once dried and rehydrated.
5. Add the bacon fat or butter to the heated cast iron pan and pour the prepared batter in.
6. Cook for about 12-15 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out dry when inserted.